Prince Harry set to lose royal titles, military appointments

International

January 19, 2020

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, will no longer be known as “royal highnesses,” nor receive public funds for any royal duties they undertake in the future, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Prince Harry’s official title was “His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex,” and his wife was “Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex.” They officially resigned from their positions as senior royals on January 8, saying they intend to pursue financial independence in far North America.

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.

“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages,” the couple had said.

But, a statement from the palace, published on the Royal Central, a news portal for the Royal Families on Saturday, said the couple will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and will also no longer formally represent the Queen.

The palace also said they are to repay the £2.4 million of taxpayer money used for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, ”which will remain their UK family home”

The action comes after the Queen met with the couple last week about their future, following their resignation as senior royals.

The Queen in a statement thanked the couple for their “dedicated work”, The Queen added: “Harry, Meghan, and Archie will always be much-loved members of my family,” the statement continued.

Related Post